I said this blog was going to be more about writing, and then I found out about Beautiful People (the version I’m doing today is actually for NaNoWriMo, but it’s not necessary to participate in NaNo to participate in this), hosted by Notebook Sisters. Every month they’ll post a list with 10 questions to answer about your characters. I don’t know if I’ll participate every month, but for now I need to catch up! I liked to start with this one, so that you guys get to know a little about my current book I’m working on.
1. What came first: characters or plot idea? Are you a plotter or a pantser?
Plot definitely came first. Not just this time, it always does.
I have to be honest with you guys, I looked up what a pantser is. I assumed it meant the opposite of plotter, but I just wanted to make sure! I used to be a pantser, but I’m now more of a plotter I think. I don’t plot everything and sometimes things do not go the way I planned, but I do plot the general story line spread over the chapters. I have a list of what has to happen in every chapter and when I’m stuck I write a little summary of what I want to happen.
2. Do you have a title and/or a “back-cover-blurb”?
The Chosen Ones: The Army of Quermo.
3. What wordcount are you aiming for when your novel is finished?
My first draft has over 52.000 words, so I’m aiming for something like that. Quality over quanitity though.
4. Sum up your novel in 3 sentences.
Oh this is harder than I thought.
Rose and Damien face their first real fight as the Chosen Ones. New people show up in Hellburgh carrying their own secrets. Meanwhile Rose is desperately trying to make sure that her best friend Ashelle stays out of the Chosen Ones business.
5. Sum up your characters in one word each.
6. Which character are you most excited to write? Tell us about them!
Right now Elicia hasn’t appeared yet, and I know I’ll love writing her even more in the second draft!
7. What about your villain? Who is he, what is his goal?
The series villain is the devil, who’s trying to get back on earth, but this book’s villain is the demon Atelic, who is raising an army and planning on releasing the devil from his prison.
8. What is your protagonist’s goal? And what stands in the way?
Stopping Atelic and his army from raising the devil and killing people. Well you know, the army of maybe a thousand or more demons could be a problem.
9. What inciting incident begins your protagonist’s journey?
There’s a break-in at her godfather’s office; a book about the Chosen Ones is stolen. It is clear to everyone that some demon is out to get the Chosen Ones.
10. Where is your novel set?
In the fictional town Hellburgh in the Netherlands.
11. What are three big scenes in your novel that change the game completely?
I’m not sure how to answer this one?
12. What is the most dynamic relationship your character has? Who else do they come in contact with or become close to during the story?
Rose is closest to Egbert, Damien and Ashelle. She also becomes close with Elicia.
13. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
She becomes more confident and less afraid.
14. Do you have an ending in mind, or do you plan to see what happens?
Yep, I do. The same ending as the first draft, though with some changes here and there. The general idea will be the same though.
15. What are your hopes and dreams for your book?
Well, I hope it get’s published and that people will read and like it!
This was a lot of fun! I can’t wait to do the others :)
– The Writing Hufflepuff