HAPPY NEW YEAR! I know we’re all glad 2016 is gone, but boy is 2017 off to a bad start. I hope everyone in Istanbul is safe!
Since it’s Sunday I’ll also be doing a weekly wrap up.
This month I read a lot of comics and manga, since I had a huge slump and couldn’t read anything else. Beautifully Broken Things really got me out of it though! But I didn’t read that until the end of the month haha
- Young Justice volumes 3 and 4 ★★★★★
- Ms. Marvel volume 6 ★★★★★
- Ms. Marvel #13: Election Day
- Lumberjanes volumes 1-6 ★★★★★
- Lumberjanes #25-32 ★★★★★
- Lumberjanes Beyond Bay Leaf ★★★★★
- Goldie Vance volumes 1 and 2 ★★★★★
- A Character in Reality by Nicholas Bridgman ★
- Pokemon Special Black and White volumes 1-20
- Pokemon Special XY volumes 1-6
- Pokemon Special Omega Ruby Alpha Saphire volume 1
- Beautifully Broken Things by Sara Barnard ★★★★
- Gotham Academy volumes 1-3
- Gotham Academy: Endgame
- Gotham Academy: Second Semester #1-4
Yesterday I went to a cat cafe with my friends which was a lot of fun though now I am dead because THE KITTIES WERE SO CUTE. I’ll (hopefully) write a Blogsterdam post on it soon. It was also good to see my friends, because I haven’t seen either of them since the Summer.
I also helped at children’s ‘festival’ at work this week (I work at a museum) and it was adorable. Though also exhausting. The kids killed me.
I SAW MOANA AND IT WAS AMAZING. GO SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN’T YET.
I celebrated all the holidays of course, which was fun. I usually go into a lot more detail, but honestly I’m tired and a friend is coming over in less than two hours so I should hurry up haha. My nephew got his first Pokemon game though so while I’m really happy about that, it also means I have to help him out a lot. But I’m flattered that he thinks I’m The Pokemon Master™ which I am obviously.
I actually wrote last week! Around 1500 words even. Hopefully I’ll have more time to write soon. I can write during my break, but I should really start with my schoolwork woops.
The project I worked on isn’t one I’ve mentioned on here before, but I’m really excited about it. I should really work out the idea more, build the characters and world and such, plot etc. before I continue writing though, because I have no idea where it’s headed.
Oh boy. Let’s take a look shall we?
- Finish The Army of Quermo
- Finish interviewing my grandfather for his biography
Write more in general
- Work on another project that I’ve never talked about on here
Okay so I didn’t finish The Army of Quermo. IN FACT. I’m going to rewrite it *manical laughter because help me* I also started TWO other WIPs *whispers seriously help me* and I don’t think I really worked on that *secret* project woops. I DID write. Quite a lot actually, especially compared to other years. I even won Camp NaNo. So I didn’t fail, I just didn’t accomplish the goals 2015 me wanted me to accomplish.
- Keep up posting a Discussing Hufflepuff every month
- Post a Blogsterdam every month
Be more active on Twitter
- Be more active on Instagram
Write the last two posts about my trip to America Edit old posts
- Schedule posts before school starts
I think I was kind of active on Twitter? Definitely not on Instagram. Except during the Summer! I thought that was it, the turning point. Finally I was going to regularly post on Instagram *manical laughter*. Posting a Discussing Hufflepuff and Blogsterdam every month?? *more manical laughter* BUT HEY I FINALLY WROTE THE LAST TWO POSTS ABOUT MY TRIP TO AMERICA ONE YEAR LATER. And I edited old posts so.. Not a complete failure. Though I’ve definitely failed at scheduling last year.
- Geek Girl: (2/3)
- Also Known As: (1/2)
- Hex Hall: (1/3)
- Princess Academy: (1/3)
- The Grisha Trilogy: (2/3)
Geek Girl has more books out now I believe woops. BUT I DID READ TWO BOOKS FOR THIS CHALLENGE. The problem is that I’m not sure I even want to continue all of this series? Most of them aren’t really a priority really. I do want to finish The Grisha trilogy (come on, one book left. I can do this) and I love Geek Girl, so I’ll continue that one. The others I’m not so sure of.
Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda
- The Shatter Me Trilogy: (1/3)
Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children: (3/3)
I could’ve completed this one. I could’ve won. But I don’t own the other Shatter Me books and honestly while I did enjoy Shatter Me at the time, I don’t feel the urge to read the rest of the series? Maybe one day though.
I’m participating again in Mel’s (Fairytale) Retelling Challenge! I kind of failed last year, but it was fun nonetheless! This year I’ll be aiming for the Goose Girl level, which means reading 5-9 books.
- A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston ✓
- Fairest by Marissa Meyer
- Stars Above by Marissa Meyer ✓
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer
- The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
- A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
- Return to the Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz
- Nora and Kettle by Lauren Nicolle Taylor
- Uprooted by Naomi Novak ✓
- Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner ✓
Please tell me there’s another book I read that counts as a retelling because seriously I’m one book short of winning. Nope I didn’t. Oh well.
THE 2016 CONTEMPORARY CHALLENGE
This year I’m also signing up for The 2016 Contemporary Challenge hosted by Jillian and Montana. I won’t pick out any books in advance for this one, as there are always contemporaries I want to read! I’ll be aiming for Peony: 11-15 books.
Three more books and I could’ve won. Oh well.
- Northanger Abbey
- Mansfield Park
- Sylvie and Bruno
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
- The Lord of the Rings: Read (1/3)
- Les Misérables
I READ ONE. I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF. I SET THIS EXACT SAME CHALLENGE FOR 2015 AND I READ NONE. THIS IS PROGRESS. ONE DAY I SHALL READ ALL THE CLASSICS ON MY SHELVES (and other classics too).
Honestly, besides the Goodreads Challenge I won’t be setting myself any reading goals this year. It didn’t really work for me and it just gave me more stress and pressure which isn’t what I need. I do think I’m going to set myself some writing goals and maybe blogging goals too. We’ll see.
- I wrapped up September, October and November
- I reviewed We Awaken which I definitely recommend
- I reacted to some negative Moana reviews
- I shared the best books I read in 2016
I’ve started to catch up on some posts (slowly) so let’s see what I’ve got to share!
- Evi gives 8 reasons why you should watch The Crown
- Cheyenne Raphael announced the Harry Potter Writing Cup
- Cristina talks about the problems of being an international bookworm
- Angel has some announcements
- Lila predicts her predictions for 2017
- Kat did the Character Dating Profile tag and the What Would That Villain Read tag
SHADOWHUNTERS. SHADOWHUNTERS SEASON 2 AAAAAAH. FINALLY. I CAN’T WAIT. I’m planning on reviewing the episodes weekly, so hopefully school won’t get in the way of that. I do have lots of assignments and a tough exam ahead, so I don’t know how much I’ll be able to blog. I’m definitely going to try to blog regularly again though. I have some reviews to catch up on, two Blogsterdam posts to write, Discussing Hufflepuff ideas and so many other things to write!
How was your December? Did you accomplish all your goals for 2016? Let me know in the comments!