As promised, here’s a post on One Day At A Time and why you should watch it (I’m actually quite impressed with myself how quickly I’m writing this post after saying that I would haha).
Because I love lists, here’s a list of reasons that will hopefully convince you to watch One Day At A Time:
- It’s about a Cuban family
- The mom has PTSD and it’s handled really well
- Therapy and drugs are normalised
- Also she’s a war veteran and she’s badass
- She’s such a cutie pie they’re all cutie pies
- The daughter is a huge feminist and stands up for so many important causes
- Also!! She’s gay!!
- Shows that you can be catholic and gay/support your granddaughter (seriously that scene is amazing)
- The son has some ‘feminine’ traits but is never looked down on or anything like that for it
- So!! Many!! Important!! Topics!! Are!! Covered!! (and it only has 13 episodes??)
- It’s hilarous
- But also really touching and important
- Family dynamics!!
- Talks about immigration and deportation
- Talks about mansplaining and so many other topics that you barely ever see in mainstream media??
- Doesn’t romanticise abuse!!
- The only sort of white main character is basically there to teach the audience about racism and feminism and it’s fab
- Also he is really willing to learn and immediately listens when he’s told he’s wrong (like when he comes in wearing a Fidel Castro shirt he immediately takes it off when they explain to him why he shouldn’t be wearing that)
- Basically it’s a gift from the heavens and I could never do this show any justice just watch it and please support it (it’s already been renewed for a second season!! but still support it so we can get many many more)
Have you watched One Day At A Time? Did you like it? Let me know in the comments!