Beautiful People is a link-up hosted by Cait from Paper Fury and Sky from Further Up and Further In where writers answer questions about their books/characters.
It’s been a while since I participated in Beautiful People, since I forgot to do it every month (how did I manage to do that??). Anyway! This time I decided to answer these questions for Ashelle. If you’re unfamiliar with my WIP The Chosen Ones (of which Ashelle is a main character) you can click on ‘writing’ in my menu and then on ‘The Chosen Ones’ for more posts!
1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?
Ashelle really loves cookie dough. Damn now I’m craving cookie dough ice cream.
2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?
A night out is usually either at Rose’s or at the movies with her friends. There isn’t much to do in Hellburgh at night, and even if there was Ashelle wouldn’t go clubbing or anything. During the weekends she could go to Amsterdam, but only if there’s a concert she’d want to go to. She’d drag everyone with her, somehow convincing them that they too want to go and that they should buy tickets.
Here’s a collage where you can see Ashelle’s clothing style.
3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?
You can see some shoes in the collage above. She also wears Dr. Martens though. She owns several pairs: black with pink shoelaces, the special Hello Kitty Dr. Martens and bright pink ones. Her socks are in perfect condition. She only wears comfortable shoes. If a pair hurts her feet, she’ll never wear them again.
4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
As of right now she doesn’t have any scars, but she will get some in the future. She’ll get them by fighting demons.
5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)
Ashelle loves J-pop, K-pop and Jedward, though she also enjoys listening to Taylor Swift. She prefers cheerful music and that doesn’t change with her mood.
6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
Nope. She likes to pretend she has a great singing voice (she calls herself ‘the queen of karaoke’), but she knows she’s terrible and that Rose is the one with the
7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
Ashelle loves manga, preferably shoujo, though she has read some other genres. When it comes to books she reads about everything young adult, as long as it’s not horror and the blurb sounds interesting enough. Fun fact that has nothing to do with this question: she loves drawing fan art of her favourite books.
8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
She’d go on holiday with her family for one or two weeks and the rest of it she would spend drawing, watching tv shows and anime, reading, meeting up with her friends… Just normal teenage stuff! Oh and fighting demons might happen occasionally as well. That’s less normal for a teenager.
9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. Ex. If they’re eating breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?
She’s either making homework (depends on how much she needs to do) or drawing, while in the meantime messaging with her friends. On some Saturdays you might find her shopping (she can’t go shopping every week. I mean, who can?). If she doesn’t have any homework and neither do her friends, they will be hanging out, though they usually do this in the evening.
10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?
Her self-doubt when it comes to her art and acting.
Did you participate in Beautiful People this month? Share the link of your posts in the comments if you did, so I can check it out!
– The Writing Hufflepuff